Sunday, October 30, 2016

Using strips of scrap paper

Hello, yet again. I am never on the computer to work and then three blog posts in two days. Zoo will fall off her chair! It is a very grey weekend here and my life is in a weird holding pattern and for some reason doing these posts is a nice break, so here goes another one.

Zoo sent me a link to use up some paper scraps, knowing that I don’t throw anything away and was running out of room in my scrap paper box.
The link was      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv2EL8jZhZ8    and showed how to glue/tape thin scraps of paper onto printer paper and then die cutting out an image or saying to make cards. My scrap paper box was full, so I gave it a try.


I first used up just a few pieces of paper out of my pink scrap box and here is the result. I didn’t measure the width of the strips I cut, but just winged it with my cutter. I liked the slight variances in the widths of the strips. I don’t have a huge selection of dies that cut out sayings and shapes that are not for tags, so I chose my Fredward Bear Die Cut  - by Memory Box Inc.


 It was a little blah with just the bear cut out, so dug out my punch-anywhere flower punch by EK Success Brands and punched out the background. I saved the little flowers, etc., that came from the punch in case I wanted to use them. Much better!!



The two finished cards turned out so cute that I spent an hour or two cutting strips out of more scrap paper and making more blanks to use. Believe me though… a little paper goes a long way! 

 I had an idea to use different edging patterns to cut out waves, etc., from the striped paper. It produced a neat effect without too much difficulty. By tracing the pattern onto the back of the striped paper, it was just a matter of cutting along the lines and placing them in order to be glued onto a plain coloured background paper. I chose black card stock as my background to show off the stripes. I then used my Big Shot to cut out shapes. Like usual, the negative part cut out can be used on the inside of the card or for another card.







 
I also free-handed a dinosaur to cut out.

This was a fun use of scrap paper. I have started saving thin strips of scrap paper in an envelope to make it easier next time.

Take care! Red Bear : )

2 comments:

Zoo said...

I can't believe it's taken me so long to read these posts! Sorry! I am a terrible friend.

I have a couple of questions:

1. On the red and pink Fredward card:

How exactly do you make the extended right hand section of this card? I've been meaning to ask you this for a long time and keep forgetting!

Do you just take a normal card, that is a half of an 81/2 x 11 sheet, and instead of folding it in half, fold it with an extended right hand section and then glue the strips and border cut-out on top; or,

Do you make a "normal" 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 card and add the strips and border punch to the right side? Do you overlap a section on the back of the card that is long and add other strips on top?

2. The yellow faced cat card:

Is the yellow the colour of the card underneath the cat die-cut, or did you die-cut an additional cat out of yellow and glue the bits inside the spaces on the striped section?

Red Bear said...

Morning Zoo!
1) For the extended Fredward card I usually just cut an 8 1/2" by 11" in half lengthwise and then glue/tape the image on the right side, right end facing me part of the cut piece so that when I fold the paper into the card the image is facing me with the extended bit and the card opening on the right. If the layered image is not a normal size, I don't cut the 8 1/2 by 11 paper until the image is ready and then I figure out how much to cut the paper lengthwise.

2) On this particular card, I believe the yellow is the background colour. I do cut out the shapes and glue the little bits in on a lot of cards but this one looked okay with it the way it was, so I didn't bother with that step. I just cut out a rectangle in the black shiny paper to allow the yellow to show through.

Glad you are back into the Blog. I think it would be a great January thing to do. Then it will guilt me into getting onto the computer whenever life lets me have a bit of time.

Have fun! Red Bear : )